5 Things Your Lawyer Should NEVER Do
By Micah Huggins | April 8 , 2014 | 01Comments Off on 5 Things Your Lawyer Should NEVER Do
Be sure that you are getting the best legal representation. There are characteristics of a lawyer to avoid when hiring him or her.
- Your attorney should never quote you a price before hearing the facts and details of your case. It’s typical for many to call a lawyer’s office trying to get an estimate on how much they will be spending, basically “legal shopping”. You must always remember you get what you pay for. If a lawyer’s goal is to make a profit, the cheap traffic attorney is not the way to go. They are concerned with the dollar not your case.
- Your case should be a priority to your lawyer. No doubt, he has many cases on his plate, and sometimes he does make mistakes. Nevertheless ever lawyer should strive to never miss your court date. Despite having a hectic schedule, missing important dates shines bad light on a firm. Not only does it make them seem disorganized, but careless as well. If this mistake does occur, the most appropriate course of action would be to handle the issue at no cost to the client. That would entail any fees to have the case re-calendared or penalties for failure to appear.
- Another priority factor should be that your attorney communicates with you when you need him. In many cases lawyers are missing in action by never answering their phones or refusing to return calls in a timely manner. Needless to say, you would never want a situation where they are actually rude and short with you once you do finally reach them.
- Never allow your attorney to take your money based upon promises they can’t keep. I never take a client’s money based on certain conditions. I won’t allow them to demand results that I may not be able to deliver. One simple rule is to under promise and over deliver. Things happen that may be out of anyone’s control.
- Your attorney should never condition his representation based off any promises from you. Unfortunately this happens and only leads to lawyers losing their licences. Ambition and greed gets the best of them. Though a lawyer may appear to have a lot of power, and are deemed as a saving grace, this should never allow them to feel invincible.
As your legal representation, your lawyer has a standard to uphold. This type of behavior is unacceptable. It lacks ethics and professionalism. Be sure you are choosing an attorney that is diligent in every manner while representing you and your case.